Saturday, October 26, 2019

Alexandra Purro Seeks James Island Town Council Seat


Alexandra Purro is running for James Island Town Council.   She has worked with the Town of James Island for several years on the "Town Market."   She had organized a market as a private venture.  The Town Administrator, with my blessing,  approached Alexandra with a proposal to work together on a "Town Market."  Alexandra is not a Town employee.  She recruits and supervises the vendors at the market and collects their fees.

When I heard from the Town Clerk that Alexandra had expressed interest in running for Council, I was taken totally by surprise.   I had no idea she was interested in seeking elected office. Later, I learned that she had filed for office.  Next time I saw her, I wished her luck.

Soon, I heard concerns from members of Council that there could be a conflict of interest.  In my opinion, there is absolutely no conflict for her to run for Town Council.   However, if she wins, the Town Attorney would need to review our current arrangement. It seems obvious to me that if she was on Council she would have to recuse herself from voting on any Town expenditure that benefits the Town Market.  Currently, the market is held at Town Hall and the Town pays for a jump castle and movies are shown using equipment purchased by the Town.

Early in the campaign, my wife, James Island Public Service District Vice-Chair Kathy Woolsey, told me that she was going to support Alexandra for Council.   Her explanation was that we need more diversity on Town Council.   I told Kathy that was fine, but I was more concerned about Alexandra's positions on the major issues facing the Town.

I have met with Alexandra since.   She explained that she would like to run the James Island Market on a volunteer basis.  Apparently, she has not been taking home a big profit because her expenses are about equal to the fees she collects from the vendors.  I would be open to that approach, but it would be a major change and would require a vote by Council.  The Town would take a larger role in the market, with the vendor fees going to the Town and all expenditures run through the Town's budget.  However, these considerations are only relevant if she wins.

I also asked her about the major issues facing our Town.  I asked about our effort to reunite the Town.  She supports that.  I asked if she supported cooperating with the James Island Public Service District to allow a tax credit.  She said that she did.  She supported the Island Sheriff's Patrol and thought experimenting with having a Sheriff's Deputy assigned to the Town full time was a good idea.  She suggested that should be a first step and we should move towards more full-time and fewer part time deputies.  She supported the Town's low density development policy.   She supports sidewalks.  She understands the need to focus on drainage issues. 

My impression, however, is that her real passion is to spearhead events and festivals. The Town has always depended on members of Council pitching in and helping with citizen groups and organizing various activities and events.   So she would fit in well.

My view is the Alexandra Purro would be a sound choice for Town Council.   

No comments:

Post a Comment