Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Town and the James Island Public Service District Employees

It has been brought to my attention that James Island PSD employees have been told that I plan to take over the PSD and then fire them.   There is no truth to this, and I am deeply troubled that anyone would spread such rumors.

I have never proposed having the Town take over the provision of services from the James Island PSD.   I do not believe that most voters in the Town or the District would support such a move.

I have proposed that the Town collect the operating tax millage in its jurisdiction.  The reason is that it would allow us to provide a LOST tax credit to residents of the Town exactly as do other municipalities.   I have always explained that the Town would then directly pay for the services provided by the James Island PSD.   There would be no change in the total financial support received by the District and no change in employment at the District.

In the long run, the relationship between the District and Town is up to the voters of James Island.   In my view, the loyal employees of the James Island Public Service District should have no concern.   The voters and taxpayers of James Island greatly appreciate their service.   No change in the organization of the District and Town threatens their jobs.   But most importantly, I have never proposed and do not favor having the Town take over provision of fire protection, solid waste disposal, or wastewater services from the James Island PSD.

I invite anyone, and especially any JIPSD employee, to give me a call at 697-7020, come by my office at Town Hall, or email me at mayorwoolsey@jamesislandsc.us so that I can in person explain to you that these rumors are false.   I especially invite senior employees Robert Wise, Chief Seabolt, Phillip Johnson, and David Hoffman to contact me.   Let's join together to end needless worry and fear for the hardworking employees of the James Island PSD.

No comments:

Post a Comment